Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there. 

Let me start by saying this is the one of those "first" holidays that make me want to crawl in bed and just sleep. We sent my mom home to heaven just 5 short months ago and this being the first Mother's Day without her is so so emotional.

Mom was our glue. As my daughter in law has said, she was such a presence.  So much fun to be around.  Always up for learning new things. Ready to go and do whatever was going on. In the past 5 years, we took her to the horse races, got to enjoy her Texas Rangers live at the ballpark with her, played dominoes, taught her Texas Hold'em, watched her dance with her Blue Star Line Dancers from the Garland Senior Center.... She was up for just about anything.  Except those damn blood clots.

When I was a little girl, Daddy always had a corsage for her on Mother's day. He would get one for her and his special "second mom" to wear to church on Mother's Day Sunday.  Why don't we do that anymore?  Let's start that tradition again.  Corsages for all the mom's on Mothers day. 

Little things I remember... when I would tell her that we were going to the lake for the day or the weekend... she would say "well have fun but don't go near the water".... If you were going on a trip... she would say, "take your time going but hurry back". 

Hubby and I went out last night and there was a lady and obviously her mom with her... I watched them all through dinner. The mom was in a wheelchair and was, I bet about 90.  I couldn't hear a word they were saying but they were having so much fun talking.  The little mom would start telling a story and then start giggling so much she couldn't finish.  It was so sweet to see. 

I'm so glad so many of my friends got to know my mom... she was a character.  One of our good friends was here one weekend and after playing poker for a few hours with mom, he commented....
"I always wondered why they call her Go-Granny, now I know". 


We'll all be thinking about her tomorrow... well, we think about her everyday but tomorrow will remind us how special she was in our lives.

Cherish every moment with your mom. No matter how exasperated you may get... the time you have with her is limited. Never forget that.



Always up for a game of 42

part of the conga line!

cuttin a rug, she loved to dance.  it kept her young

Go Granny and Clayton. 

the Blue Star Line Dancers, 2005

Mom and the kids.

No comments: