Thursday, December 19, 2019

Splintered


Has it Splintered?
Your family?  Has it splintered?  When did that happen?  Do you wonder why or do you know?

What were Christmas gatherings like when you were a kid?  Ours was about 1000 people crammed into a very tiny house.  It seemed like 1000 to me.  I was the littlest one in the room, getting passed around cause I was, “the baby”. 
So many presents and boxes and wrapping paper and bows to play with.  I look at those old home movies and wondered how in the world everybody was able to get together all on one day!!!

 I don’t remember raised voices.  I don’t remember subjects (arguments) of politics, race, immigrants etc… being discussed.  We were all happy to be together.  Yes, the sisters and sisters in law talked about how so and so wouldn’t let her son ever get dirty.  How, no little ____ didn’t ever seem to be told no.  I remember the dads and uncles talking about that last pheasant hunt.  Or fishing trip.  Or dove hunt.  Or the price of brisket going up and trying to keep help at the BBQ houses.  There were some BIG gatherings, HUGE.  75 or more people sitting at long tables eating so much good food. 
Watching the Cowboys play, and usually win! 
Do you remember people being mad at those get togethers?  Maybe I was the naïve baby.  Maybe I was busy outside playing.  Shooting 22’s with my girl cousins.  Unwrapping goofy white elephant gifts and trying to steal a better one.  Listening to multiple games of 42 going on in different rooms. The only thing I remember anyone arguing across the table about was somebody “talked across the table” (coached/signaling their partner).

What has changed?  Decency for one thing.
But, there is so much Instant communication these days. 
Remember when we were young and there was middle of the night “drinking and dialing”? Now there’s “drinking and emailing”, “drinking and texting”, “drinking and posting”.  Now there’s a good one.  That one goes out to hundreds of people to be shared over and over again. 
People saying things in public for the world to hear. People judging and posting in the court of public opinion.
 Yep, I’m guilty and I hate it.   Our brains are so overloaded with public ill will, mean statements, public opinions… that with one click those old time gatherings are gone. 
Just memories.   I guess I’m bored and posting.  Take it with a grain of salt.  Or not.

No comments: